Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Ruzhytsky. The Mitten

The Mitten: A Ukrainian Folktale is a children's book by Viktor Ruzhytsky, with art by Valentyna Melnychenko, published in 1986 (that's the English translation; the Ukrainian book was published in 1980). It is available at the Internet Archive.

This is one of my favorite chain-tale types, and I've found several children's books which retell this Eastern European folktale about all the forest creatures who seek shelter in a lost mitten. In this version, it is an old man who loses his mitten, and a mouse is the first creature to move in, followed by a frog. Even in the English translation, there is some fun word-play with the animal's names:

Then a frog came hopping up and asked, "Who's here?"
"I am Snap-Scrap the Mouse. And who are you?"
"I'm Plip-Plop the Frog. Let me in, please."
"All right. Hop in."
Now there were two of them in the mitten.

The story is told cumulatively, as you can see here when the boar arrives and manages to squeeze in:

"We are: Snap-Scrap the Mouse, Plip-Plop the Frog, Brisk-Frisk the Rabbit, Sweet-Cheat the Fox, and Prowl-Howl the Wolf. And who are you?"
"I'm Blunt-Grunt the Boar. Let me in."
"Oh dear! Everyone who comes up wants to get inside this mitten. But there's no more room."
"I'll manage somehow. Do let me in."
"It can't be helped. Come in."
So he also came in. Now there were six of them altogether, and they really had to crowd themselves to make room for the Boar.

Last of all comes a bear, so finally there are seven in there: mouse, frog, rabbit, fox, wolf, boar, and bear.

At that point the man comes looking for his mitten; the dog finds it first and is surprised to see that it's moving! When the dog barks, all the animals run away. 

If I were going to retell this story, I would expand on the ending. After all the build-up, animal by animal, the ending is very rushed, not mentioning the individual animals. I definitely think there should be a cumulative exit to match the cumulative entrance. Even if the text does not elaborate, just look at this gorgeous illustration of the animals exiting (the art throughout the book is wonderful):



No comments:

Post a Comment