Monday, September 2, 2024

Ward. There Was an Old Martian

There Was an Old Martian who Swallowed the Moon is a children's book by Jennifer Ward (one of a half-dozen "swallowing" books she has written), with art again by Steve Gray, published in 2015. It is available at the Internet Archive.

Here is a YouTube read-along:

I like the way this one plays with the old nursery rhyme, "Hey Diddle Diddle," because right after the Martian swallows the moon, for which he uses a dish and a spoon, he swallows a cow:


I kept hoping that the cat and the fiddle from that nursery rhyme would also show up here! But instead the rest of the story is more outer-spacey: after the moon and the cow, he swallows a comet, then a ship, then a rover, and finally Mars itself, then the Sun; then he's done!

Since my favorite part was definitely the cow and the moon with the dish and the spoon from the nursery rhyme, that got me thinking that it might be fun to do a "swallowed" story inspired by a nursery rhyme or by a series of nursery rhyme characters! I've seen a lot of these "swallowed" books, but I haven't seen one (yet) inspired by nursery rhymes throughout.


No comments:

Post a Comment